Dragaera

Cursing in Fenarian

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 22:18:36 PST 2006

Speaking of cursing, and Fenarian/Hungarian, there's this page on
Serbian, which digresses onto Hungarian.

 http://www.languagehat.com/archives/002157.php

This bit I thought particularly amusing:

[Begin Cite]

On a tangent, a Hungarian friend of mine who is a history teacher once
told me that the earliest record of the Hungarian language is not, in
fact, the list of land owners' names contained in the "Tihany Abbey
Document" dating from the 11th century. Apparently a Byzantine source
from 200 years earlier mentions an emabssy from Constantinople meeting
a group of pre-Pannonian Magyars (referred to at the time as "Turkoi"
in Byzantine sources) which says that these Turkoi spoke 'Turkoi' as
well as their own special language. This language was unintelligible
to the other "Turkoi" and the one most common expression was recorded
as "Bazamak!"

Which is considerably close to the most common Hungarian swear word
"bazd/bassza meg!" (Fuck it/you" (Literally "Befucked!" in an Old
English fashion...)

[End Cite]