Dragaera

The use of italics

Maximilian Wilson wilson.max at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 18:42:18 PST 2006

On 2/22/06, Louis Eastman <almagaiz at gmail.com> wrote:
> I noticed for the first time Eddings tends to italicize words quite often!
> In fact, if you managed to go through two pages without an italic its a
> miracle, and he loves to use multiple seperated italicized words, such as:
> "I got up in the morning and said hello to my cactus."

Wow, you're not kidding. I opened to a random page of /Castle of
Wizardry/ and there it was, an italicized word. I tried five or six
random pages and found italics on most of them.

> Why do authors overuse such things? Does Steve overuse something and I have
> not noticed it, making me a hypocrite?

Eddings isn't a very skilled writer. Fun, but not skilled. Overusing
adverbs, italics, and emoticons :) is one hallmark of the unskilled
writer. Just ask Strunk & White.

Max Wilson

--
Be pretty if you are,