Readalong

Notes: TPG through ch 2

Mon Jun 24 17:58:35 PDT 2002

Gaertk at aol.com writes:
> In a message dated Sun, 23 Jun 2002 4:47:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, Thomas Yan <tyan at twcny.rr.com> writes:
>
> > Gaertk at aol.com writes:
> >> [page ix]
> >>
> >> Neat way of expressing the dates, too bad they're wrong.
> >
> > I'm too lazy to work it out, but I'd be interested in
> > seeing your calculations.

-most of the calculations snipped-

Thanks!

> [...]  Now the date we're
> dealing with is 309 PI, but Dragaerans start counting at 1
> instead of 0 [2], so subtract one to get 308.  [...]

Aside: We count ages starting at 0, but the Chinese start at 1 -- when
a baby is born, they say its age is 1, not 0.

> >> [page xiv]
> >>
> >> The lines quoted from the poem seem to contradict comments
> >> made later by Sethra.
> >
> > How so?
>
> My interpretation of the poem is that its taking place after
> Adron's Disaster and that Tazendra was a Lavode then, but
> Sethra says (in _Issola_) that the Lavodes were disbanded
> before the Interregnum.

(Right: _Issola_, ch13, pp198-199)

If I recall correctly, the events described in FHYA also don't quite
match -"disbanded before the Interregnum"-, the context of which
implied to me "years, if not many years, before".

Another possibility is that in the poem Tazendra is referred to as a
Lavode even before she officially becomes one.

>  It just occurred to me that Adron's
> Disaster may not mark the "official" beginning of the
> Interregnum.

Interesting!

- tky